Thursday, August 11, 2011

I don't remember how it all began

I wish I could remember how it started.

I haven't always had an overloaded shelf of kids books waiting to be read.
I haven't always known who Peter H. Reynolds, Dan Gutman and Andrew Clements are.
I haven't always spent more time in the kids section of book stores and my local library than any other section.

For whatever reason, at whatever time, I read the book that started it all for me. Frindle


Frindle by Andrew Clements was my first exposure to middle grade fiction and to school stories and I fell in love. I like stories where the teacher sees something - a spark, a hint of the student's potential - and gives the student space to learn and explore and fail and grow. I like stories where the kids do something unconventional and it works. I love stories where kids triumph and discover their strength.


I don't remember how it started, but I am so glad it did.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment