Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Loaves and Fishes

I was in a funk this weekend. I was not looking forward to heading back to school on Monday. Last week felt like one long fight with students. I'm tired. It's May, which is fraught with emotional ups and downs. I really just wanted to stay in bed with a pile of books.

We had a rare 10 minutes to kill before heading to church on Sunday, so I sat down with my journal to get my thoughts on paper. When I had rambled on for a few paragraphs, I went back to the start of the journal and skimmed through it and found a treasure.

Earlier this year I was doing really well about faithfully completing a Bible in One Year app written by Nicky and Pippa Gumbel (@NickyGumbel, @PippaGumbel). In a commentary about a New Testament passage where Jesus takes just a little food and feeds thousands, the Gumbel's wrote this:

"I take great comfort in this: Jesus can do a lot with a little. If we offer to Jesus the little we have, he can multiply it and meet the needs of all the people."

Oh, I needed to be reminded of this. I have four more weeks of school to go in this school year, and I want to finish well and finish strong. But I feel like I have so little left to give - little patience for the daily struggle with students to keep them moving forward toward the end of the year, little creativity, little energy. I need Jesus to take this little bit that I have left and multiply it to be all I need - and all He needs - it to be for the work that still needs to be done this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment