Saturday, August 1, 2009

Pajama Party

I have an ongoing debate with my son about his pajamas. Rarely are they "dirty" after one night's wearing, so I would like him to wear them at least twice before washing so we can cut down on laundry (especially in the winter when the PJs are big and bulky). I started searching on the internet for pajama pillows or stuffed animals like I had when I was a kid. No such luck. So I decided to try to make my own. My fabric was around 11.5 inches square when I started.
I cut two pieces the same size and another one at around 8.5 inches. Then I had smaller pieces of the brown fabrics for some piecing that I was going to do. First I had to draw my "pattern."
Next, I used some Steam a Seam to finish the edges on the two flap pieces for the back of the pillow. Then I cut out the brown pieces, backed them with Heat N Bond, and pieced it together.
Next, I pinned the the three pillow pieces together inside out, and then hand sewed all the way around. This didn't take as long as I thought it would, but much longer than if I could sew with a machine.
Then I flipped the whole thing back the right way. You can see the flap in the back where the pjs go. Then I used some dimensional fabric paint to finish the monkey features - DONE! It is now ready to sit on my son's bed and hide his pjs so they aren't piled somewhere making his room look trashy or tucked somewhere where he will forget about them for a few days!



This was actually a pretty fun project. I have plans to try a PJ bag next because I don't think this pillow will be big enough for those bulky winter PJs I mentioned.

No comments:

Post a Comment