Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Reading Report

I started a new book this weekend called Reading Together: Everything You Need to Know to Raise a Child Who Loves to Read by Diane Frankenstein. I stumbled across it at the library and I can't wait to dig into it.

As I was reading through the introduction, the author referenced the 2008 Kids and Family Reading Report from Scholastic. You can find it here. She highlighted a few bits of data (on page 4 of her book) that I want to report here.

*Kids reading drops off after 8 years.
*Parents can have a direct impact on getting kids to read
*When kids start reading independently, parents need to become more, not less, involved.
*Kids say that one of the main reasons why they do not read more is because they cannot find books that they like to read.

This last point is exactly why I started my book review blog in the first place. I love reading children's books and then passing those titles and recommendations on to kids and their parents in the hopes that the kids will connect with some great stories and characters.

So, let's try to get some discussion going today - how do you/would you encourage your kids to read? Do you like to read yourself? If not, why not?

If you check out the Report, tell me what you think of it. Leave a comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment