Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Missing Christmas

If you had talked to me a month ago, I would have told you that I was crazy-excited for Christmas. I could not wait for December to get here and to get the holiday preparations started.


Now that December is here, I wonder if I peaked too soon. I've lost my enthusiasm. Lord knows I could blame it on a lot of things - the sale of Dad's house (which did go through. My joy lasted exactly 5 seconds before the tears started. I was not as happy when it was done as I thought I would be), anticipating Christmas and my birthday without Dad... You get the idea. But I am not conscious of any of those things yet. Now that the house is sold, that issue is done. The other two haven't arrived yet. I can only imagine how I will feel when they actually get here.


All I know for now is that we are two weeks into Advent and up until this weekend, we had no plans to put up a tree. I even tried to talk my husband into buying a metal one we could hang ornaments on and call it good. (He said no.)


I think part of our hesitation is that no one was looking forward to pulling out our old artificial tree. We tried to find a new one, but had no luck. Then we stopped by Lowe's on Saturday. When we were done, we had a live Christmas tree in our trunk. We have never had a live tree before. That seemed to help us kick start the season. At least now we have a tree and some lights. We'll see how much farther we go and if it brings back the festive feelings or not. This may just be an "off" year for Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment