Thursday, February 21, 2013

Each Day Is a Gift

In church on Sunday, we watched a video at the start of service. I latched on to a concept at the beginning and I couldn't let it go (and missed the point of the rest of the video).

The speaker said each day was a gift - there's no guarantee of tomorrow. Not a new concept, really, but it hit me in a new way this week.

Do I wake up in the morning, thinking of the day as a gift? an opportunity?

No. When I wake up, I think of how many more days there are until the weekend. I think about how exhausted I am. I don't feel gratitude; I feel weary.

How might my attitude and my outlook be different if I viewed each day as a gift? If I woke up and thought, "I have 16 hours of opportunities ahead of me. How can I best use them to love my family and love my students? How can I best use them to honor Christ?"

I'd like to say that this change in outlook will revolutionize my life immediately, but I know me. It's going to take some practice to change how I think about each new day when I wake up in the morning. But I am encouraged to give this re-frame a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment