Thursday, February 14, 2013

What Do You Love?

I've been reading the book Quitter by Jon Acuff recently. It's about moving from your day job to your dream job in a well-thought out way - figuring out what that dream job is, taking steps to get there that still allow you to take care of your responsibilities to your family, etc.

One of the questions he asks is, "What do I love enough to do for free?"

I like this question - You can look at it as "what do I love in my current job?" or "what do I love?" in general. For me, it was a good exercise in highlighting all the parts of my job I enjoy. It got me thinking about how I would design my work or my schedule to maximize the parts I love. It also has the potential to help me deal better with the parts I don't like - doing THIS allows me to do THAT.

So, in honor of Valentine's Day today, think about your life - your work, your hobbies, your passions.

What do you love enough to do it for free? Or in my favorite variation - if you won the lottery and didn't HAVE to work, how would you invest your time?

No comments:

Post a Comment