Saturday, August 17, 2013

Anxiety Sucks

This has been an anxious summer for me. I'm not sure if this is a  new development or if I have just kept myself so manically busy these last couple years that I didn't have time to be anxious.

The anxiety isn't to a level where I feel like I need medication or therapy. It's been like a blanket draped over my lap - I'm aware it's there, but I can forget about it, too. When I notice it, I feel the gnawing in my stomach and the dread in my chest. For the most part, I can name the causes, although I have had some weird dreams this summer (almost all set at school) that have been hard to place.

The frustrating thing is that I haven't found a good technique for combating the anxiety other than naming it, journalling about it and waiting it out. I prefer to be more proactive than that.

I am going to spend some time in scripture, looking for some guiding principles. This time of year is too busy to not feel my best.

No comments:

Post a Comment