Thursday, September 1, 2011

Out with the Old. In with the New

Sometimes you just need a change of scenery.

I was like a woman obsessed when I came home from my month in Wisconsin early this summer. The compulsion for change had a desperation to it. I didn't weight my decisions or discuss my ideas with my husband. I just acted.

The bedspread I had been tired of for a couple years? Gone.

The shower curtains and bathroom rugs we had had since we moved in 10 years ago? Gone.

The black milk crates in our kitchen, holding puzzles and art supplies? Gone.

New purse. New notebooks. New books. New art for the walls. 

Finally, the frantic-ness abated, and I was able to get back into a more normal flow of life. The new things satisfied a need in me to (a) control something and (b) to make the view of my every-day life as different from "normal" as my emotional life felt. A semblance of peace returned.

1 comment:

  1. I've done this a few times in my life, and it truly makes a difference. Especially getting rid of unnecessary clutter and lightening my load.

    I hope you feel better!

    ReplyDelete