Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Children's Literature Festival

A couple weeks ago I was able to attend a free Children's Literature Festival. It was a great event and I left inspired.


Two sessions were led by Bryan Collier, the illustrator of books like Martin's Big Words and Dave the Potter. Mr. Collier is also an author. I loved listening to him talk about art, about history and about his research process.


April Pulley Sayre also did a session about non-fiction picture books that was a lot more fun than I expected it to be. She had a great sense of humor.


I hadn't planned to buy any books at the festival, but after each of the authors spoke, I just had to have something they created for our school library or my personal library.


The fourth session was about book collecting, which wasn't as good of a fit for me but it was cool to see some of the books from the local rare book collection. 


The whole thing renewed my desire to some day attend the National Book Festival in Washington DC. I love the idea of being surrounded by books and other people who love books as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment