Saturday, October 8, 2011

What did you want to be when you grew up?

Another writing prompt today - What did you want to be as a child? How does that fit with the person you are today?




I have been thinking about this a lot lately. 


I always thought I would be a teacher. I hit a snag in those plans in college, and went a different direction. Here I am, though, almost 20 years later, and I am teaching. So, I feel like, in a way, I came back full circle, although not in any way I ever considered as a kid.


I wonder why it never occurred to me as a child to be a librarian. I have always been a book freak yet "librarian" was never a primary plan for me. I do wonder if my university had a library program when I knew I wouldn't be a music teacher if I would have put 2 and 2 together and tried a library career.


During the book festival I attended recently, I was reminded that I said I wanted to be an illustrator for awhile when I was a kid - maybe even an author, too. I wonder, though, if I really wanted that sort of job or if I just liked using the word "illustrator" in conversation.




What did you want to be? How did those aspirations work out for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment