Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Book Fair Update

Book Fair is complete - and it was a BLAST!

This is my first year serving as an elementary school librarian. I have been a parent helper with the Fair before, and last year I was the volunteer chairperson, working with two librarians. This year, I was on my own. Thankfully, I had an amazing group of parents step up and volunteer. This was especially important as my husband's grandmother passed away right before the Fair started, so I had to turn things over to a substitute just a couple days into this major event. My volunteers really came through in a spectacular way.

My students seemed to have a great time. Scholastic sent us a TON of books, so we had plenty of things for families to choose from. The three classes I have had so far have all given the fair a thumbs up, although my 6th graders wanted a few more titles for older students. While Scholastic sent us a fair number of chapter books targeted at 4th through 8th grade students, I have several strong readers who wanted things geared to teens in the 6th grade+ range. We'll have to see what we can do for them in the future.

I've already been making lists of things to do again next year (tag books for AR, post my "Five Favorites from the Fair") and things NOT to do (like tape the hall display so that the topmost layer is bearing its own weight as well as that of the layer below it).

Here are a few pictures from one of the best weeks of this school year!



The theme was space.

We did the teacher wish lists next to a rocket with the teacher's picture in the window. 


No comments:

Post a Comment