Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Lead Me to Rest (part 1)

The Women's Ministry group at church planned a Saturday Sabbath event recently. We have been so disconnected from church this year as we have been away so much, I felt like it would be a good way to reconnect.


But I had to wonder about the wisdom of taking four hours away from my to do list. My house is a mess. I have piles on top of my piles. Too much to do and not enough time to do it. Up until I locked the house behind me, I wasn't 100% sure I would go. I finally decided that it was because of my mess and my piles and the trials of this year that I needed to go. And I'm so glad I did.


The ladies who planned the event did a really nice job of creating a guided experience for the day. There were multiple stations that participants could walk through at their own pace and in their own order. Some stations were visual while others were tactile or auditory. It was well designed. And I ignored every part of it.


Honestly, I just needed a good chunk of time away from my piles and my to dos and my distractions to process life. I needed time to journal and put my churning thoughts down on paper so I could get a handle on them. I needed quiet. I'm starting to wonder if this sort of personal time needs to be just as much a part of my to do list as household chores and work tasks.


I'll write a little more about my Sabbath experience later this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment