Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Bibles

My cousin and his family serve in Costa Rica as missionaries. In their most recent newsletter, my cousins reported on a recent trip to Nicaragua to train pastors.

When they got there, they discovered that the pastors had no Bibles in their language. They were teaching and preaching from their own instincts and ideas. It took hours to cover basic principles like salvation by faith rather than works because they weren't familiar with the Biblical passages. Over and over, the leaders asked, "But what does the Bible say?"

As a person who lives in a house with multiple Bibles in various translations, all in my language, I can't fathom how these pastors became pastors and how they lead others to life in Christ without this basic and vital resource. My cousin and his team sent the pastors out with some Bibles and training materials in their language, but the need  is great.

I checked with my family and they said they can provide a Bible for $6 and the next piece of training material for $2. I'm going to send them something to help these pastors have materials to share with their congregations. If you'd like to join me, let me know and I'll help you get your money there.

No comments:

Post a Comment