Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Retirement

Earlier this year I retired from Fantasy Football.

For the last several years I had a team in a 12-team league my husband started with some folks from our church. And I enjoyed it. It gave my husband and I a hobby to enjoy together, it gave me football knowledge about more than just "my" team. 

But for me, fantasy football became too much work. Last year, once I started teaching, I didn't have the energy or the desire to research who to play each week. I feel like I "phoned it in" for the last season I played. So, when the season ended, I retired.

The others in the league have been very gracious, saying they are sorry I won't be playing this year. And I will miss the camaraderie because our group is hilarious! 

But I feel free now.

Free to come to the draft without pressure of who to pick first or dread that the player I want (Aaron Rodgers) won't be available when the pick gets to me.

Free to enjoy the banter without pouring over cheat sheets to figure out who to take with my next pick.

Free to root for my team and against all the others without feeling divided loyalty because I drafted someone on a team in the same division.

Time will tell if I'll miss it and regret my choice to retire. But for now, I am enjoying the freedom of retirement.

No comments:

Post a Comment