Saturday, January 5, 2013

Reading Year by Year

In July of 2007, I started keeping track of what I read. At the time, I started reading kids books so I could make some recommendations to my sister-in-law of books my niece might enjoy as she was starting to read. From July to December of 2007, I read 115 books. Sure, there were a lot of kids chapter books in there and picture books, but that's a lot of books in six months.At the time, I was writing and doing a little bit of consulting, but otherwise not working outside the house.

In 2008, I read 112 books for the whole year. The end of 2008 was when my son started Kindergarten and I started teaching part time and subbing.

In 2009, I read 235 books. That was a good reading year! I taught part time for the first part of the year, then had a free summer, and then subbed in the fall.

In 2010, I read 203 books. This was the year I started working at the court house. There was no homework and few "bringing-work-home" situations, even though I worked year round.

In 2011, I read 146 books. This was the year I spent the summer in Wisconsin taking care of my dad's estate and then started teaching. Still a good amount of reading.

In 2012, I read 137 books.

Not bad for a full year of teaching and a full summer of working at school. I noticed as I went back through the books from 2012 that the months where I did a lot of reading, it was mostly picture books. Maybe it was a shipment from Tiger Tales or a book fair month where I had a room full of new picture books to try out. Either way, those were the only times I did a LOT of reading. I'm hoping to have a more relaxing summer this year where I can do some more reading. I have a lot of books waiting to be read - and new ones coming out every week!

No comments:

Post a Comment