Thursday, January 14, 2010

2010 in a word

Several years ago I caught on to the practice of setting a word for the year - a guiding hope or principle to shape my focus and intentions. I originally got the idea from Ali Edwards and was reminded of it this year by Kal, who writes one of my all-time favorite blogs.

I picked a word two years in a row, and then last year picked a bunch - I even stitched them onto a pillow. This year I am back to one word - SAVOR.

My Sunday school class was reading a book called Pause, which talks about living in the moment. In church a couple Sundays ago, one of the pastors had us just stop, close our eyes, push away thoughts of whatever was coming next (lunch, the football game, etc) and just breath in and out and be in the moment. I am terrible about being in the moment. I am usually 20 moments ahead of myself, thinking through what I am doing tomorrow or next week or next month. I also realized a few weeks ago, as Christmas break was coming to a close, that I probably should have been more engaged with my son while he was off school, rather than digging so deeply into my own projects. He is only going to this age once. Pretty soon he won't want to snuggle on my lap or tell me everything he is thinking.

So, in 2010 I want to slow down and savor - savor my food rather than rushing through meals barely noticing what I eat. Savor my family by truly listening and engaging in conversation rather than nodding and wondering 10 minutes later what I agreed to. Savor the moments to myself and use them to do things that feed my spirit rather than wonder where the day went and what I have to show for it that was meaningful.

So, my word for 2010 is savor. What word would you choose?

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like good advice. Savoring is important in lives that can quickly spiral out of control especially when it is filled with so many commitments: job, family, reading blogging. Best wishes.

    ReplyDelete