Saturday, February 6, 2010

52 Qualities of Prosperous Writers - #5 is Perseverance

Can you stick to it when the going gets tough? Are you thick-skinned enough to pour yourself out onto paper and then ASK someone to criticize it and take it apart?

In a way, that is what writers do. They put their thoughts, opinions and feelings - as well as facts - into writing, and then they post it or submit it and take their chances that someone will think it stinks. If you don't have a thick skin, you might as well keep your writing to yourself.

There are moments when it is tempting to do just that. There are moments when I think I might just stick to blogging and journalling and not take the chance of rejection. It would be so much easier. Every time I am tempted, though, I find myself looking at new markets or jotting down ideas for an essay or article. I'm not ready to give up. I will persevere. It may not happen this year or next, but I will "keep moving forward." (Have you seen the Disney movie Meet the Robinsons? It inspires me no matter how many times I watch it!) I will persevere.

Thanks to Christina Katz for posting the question - and the 52 Qualities of Prosperous Writers in her weekly email newsletter. Check out her website for more information.

How are you persevering this year - in writing, in parenting, in your job, in life? I'd love to hear about it.

1 comment:

  1. I'm perservering pretty good, better than past years. I have to remember to not be so 'top-heavy' and topple over every time the wind picks up. Mostly, I have to remind myself that I will make a fine teacher if I just focus, let myself go and be myself rather than always looking over my shoulder at others' expectations.

    Hoping to share more of these successes in future years! :)

    ReplyDelete