Thursday, April 15, 2010

Nostalgia Week - Tootsie Pops

More nostalgia today - this time for Tootsie Pops.

The other day, I was watching a show with my family about food-factory tours, and one of the spots they talked about was the factory where they make Tootsie Pops. Watching the program reminded me of a favorite memory related to Tootsie Pops.

When I was a kid, our family went to a particular restaurant/bar on a regular basis. In fact, my parents went there every single Friday night for several of my elementary school years. Most of our family celebrations took place at this restaurant. And they always had a collection of Tootsie Pops for kids when they left the restaurant. Often, my dad would get one early on in the meal for me. He would put it in his pocket to save until the end of dinner. But every time - magically - there would be two in his pocket when we finished dinner. 

Now, if it were my son, he would want to know how it worked. I don't remember ever caring. I just loved the treat. It wasn't until I was an adult with a child of my own that I even thought to ask how my dad pulled off the trick. Turns out, he would get up to have a cigarette or use the restroom or get a drink from the bar, and pick up a second from the owner and pop it in his pocket. I never paid enough attention to notice and put the pieces together on my own. To this day, though, when I see a Tootsie Pop, I smile and remember the special treat my parents and their friends put together for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment