Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Volunteer Syndrome

Recently, my father was in town for a visit and ran into an old friend. He explained that he was in town to see us and she asked for my name. When he gave it to her, she said she recognized it from church. His response was something about me having volunteer syndrome.

Less than a week later, the superintendent from my son's school asked me to lead a "committee" for the school. When I mentioned it to Dad, he said, "And you practiced your 'firm No Thank You?'" Apparently my father thinks I take on too much.

And he is probably right. It is flattering to be asked to serve, and I love to feel like I am helping people or causes that are meaningful to me or to my family.

Do you have "Volunteer Syndrome?" Or have you perfected the "firm No Thank You?"

No comments:

Post a Comment