Thursday, July 12, 2012

SAVOR: A Break

I thought I had managed this earlier this summer! I thought I had already adjusted my plans for what work I was going to get done at school over break.

But it's July. There's only about 4.5 weeks of summer vacation left. I'd like to spend at least half of it away from the school. The only way to do that is to whittle down my to do list yet again.

Sounds easy enough. But I was so emotionally invested in my list, the idea of ignoring some of those major tasks made me feel physically ill. I was a wreck. I needed someone to come in and look objectively at my list and help me prioritize. What was funny was that I used to do that for  other people! I had to shake myself and apply those skills to my own situation.

I wrote out all of the tasks I wanted to do this summer. Then I prioritized them based on what tasks were most important and what tasks could be easily done and checked off. I noted which ones had to be done at school and which could be done at home. I flagged what things had to be done before school starts.

After some journaling and praying and wrestling with that list, I finally started feeling better about the whole thing. I let myself enjoy the idea of a couple weeks completely away from school, even if I was still doing some school tasks at home. So far, it's going pretty well. It's not going to be perfect - I know I will be frustrated about some of the things that don't get done. But for now, I think I can handle that. I'll just SAVOR the look on my son's face when I told him our two weeks off were looking like a real possibility. He threw his hands up in the air and cheered. I have to make this break happen for him. This is his summer, too, and we both need to just "be" for awhile before we head back into a new school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment