Saturday, August 11, 2012

Top 10 Kids Television Shows


Kids TV can be gross, mindless and inane. But every now and then I discover a show that is fun, witty and clever. Here are some of my favorites. (note - I had to go back to some no-longer-available series to get to 10)

10. Stanley - this was a Disney Channel show I watched with my son when he was in preschool. Stanley was a boy with a magic book. He could learn about animals by jumping into his book, and the things he learned helped him solve problems in his own life.

9. The Famous Jett Jackson - this was a Disney Channel show I would watch in the middle of the night when my son was a baby. It was about a boy who was an actor in a popular action/super hero show. Some of the show was about the boy and some was about the TV show. It was great. I wish they would put it on DVD - I'd buy it up in a minute.

8. Curious George - the new show on PBS that came on after the movie is a winner. Sweet, and educational.

7. Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes - Disney has partnered with Marvel and they put an Avengers show on TV a couple years ago. Our family looks forward to sitting down every week and watching this together.

6. Scooby Doo Mystery Inc. - a new iteration of the classic Scooby Doo. New mysteries, new setting. My only complaint is the tired story line of Velma being jilted by Shaggy because of his relationship with Scooby. Otherwise, it's a great show.

5. Kickin' It - This is on Disney XD and is about a group of kids who study martial arts and find themselves in all sorts of interesting situations. Thankfully, it's low on goo and grossness, although the "stupid" factor is there a little more often than I'd prefer. But the kids are fun, their predicaments are generally funny, and they take care of one another, which is a nice quality in kid's programming.

4. Young Justice - DC Comics has also put out a weekly TV show. I am actually more interested in the Marvel heroes than the DC ones, but when I compare the shows, I'd choose Young Justice over Earth's Mightiest Heroes if I had to pick only one.

3. Kim Possible - another classic Disney Channel show. A teen cheerleader and her best buddy (and his naked mole rat) save the world from evil villains. This one I can at least get on iTunes.

2. Phineas and Ferb - Funny and smart. This is a show that adults could watch without their kids around and still be happy. The musical numbers are witty and catchy. My all time favorite episode is "Dude, We're Getting the Band Back Together." Probably would have been #1, but my son watches it enough that I can get tired of it. Also, the #1 show is new and has been a delightful surprise.

1. Lab Rats - this is a new Disney XD show about a kid who gets a new genius, billionaire step-dad who happens to have built three bionic kids who live in the basement lab. I can't believe how much I love this show! There is plenty of slapstick humor to appeal to the target audience (tween and teen boys), but it's another smart and witty show. The step-dad is played to perfection by Hal Sparks. This is a show I would watch, even if my son wasn't around.


What shows do your kids watch that you fine tolerable - or even fun?

1 comment:

  1. I love almost all the TV shows my girls like. We always have to make sure we DVR Good Luck Charlie, Pretty Little Liars, and the Vampire Diaries.

    I also love Phineas and Ferb, but we don't watch it often.

    ReplyDelete