Thursday, June 6, 2013

The End Is Here

School is done.

There were moments in March when I thought this day would never come. This was a hard year. For me, I think it was hard on one level because I manically plowed through my first year - this year I was trying to be more intentional and thoughtful about what I was doing (although I am still manically buying new books for the library). It made the year go more slowly, which in the long run will be good, but it made the year hard.

On top of that, we've gone through some leadership changes and there seemed to be a lot of things going on under the happy facade that had to be dealt with. And that has been difficult and, at times, divisive. I've asked some of the folks who have been there longer than I have, and they agree that this year has been especially hard. The students checked out earlier than usual (could be the difficulties we had with our standardized testing this spring), had more attitude, and made some crazy behavior choices.

But here we are. The year has ended. We are still transitioning to new leadership, but I am optimistic for the positive things that can come next year. I have the best of intentions to NOT work this summer. I am hoping to be finished with all my school tasks by tomorrow and then to disappear for the most part until August. (I think I will still try to bring home books to process for the library, but I don't know. We'll see.)

Anyway, I am reminded that time marches on - in the good or the bad, all I can do is just keep pressing forward and doing the best I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment