Thursday, July 18, 2013

And the Baton Is Passed

When I got pregnant, I was completely convinced I was going to go right back to work after my son was born. And I did. But I was miserable. I had no idea how much I would adore that needy little bundle. I wanted him all to myself. So I left my job and worked various jobs from home so that I could be home with my son. We have been pals for years - singing songs, snuggling, reading books together, regular trips to Barnes and Noble. Even though I am working again, we still have our summers together for bowling and the pool and just hanging out at home.

I've noticed a shift in the last year, though. Lately there have been a lot more "guys days" at our house. My husband and my son have gone to movies together or golfing or the children's museum. On our vacation, while I was at a conference, the boys went to various museums and other sites. And as I am typing this, they are at a weekend Father/Son camp together.

And I couldn't be happier. I love that they are getting to spend this time together. I love that they are interested in the same things. I love that they WANT to be together.

This is how it is supposed to be. This is the natural progression as my son gets older. I hope he continues to have a great relationship with his father as we move into his teen years.

No comments:

Post a Comment