Saturday, March 12, 2011

Signs

I am trying to decide if I believe in signs.

I am a planner by nature. I am usually thinking 6 steps ahead of the one I am on. I am afraid of missing something because I wasn't paying attention or planning ahead. I am in a job that is paid by a grant that will come to an end some time this year. I am already thinking about what might happen next and how to make a wise transition for myself and my family whenever that happens. A week ago, I was contemplating my options and whether I should start making plans now. Yeah, in March. As I said, I like to think ahead.


Then another option seemed to present itself and I thought, "Wow, I'm glad I didn't get ahead of myself. This other opportunity could be a great fit." Then, that opportunity was whisked away. Is that a sign? Does that mean I should move forward on a plan now? Does it mean I should wait because another opportunity could arise?

After pondering "signs" for awhile, I think you can only know in retrospect if something was a sign. I think it is prudent to wait, still thinking ahead but not acting, seeking wisdom but not being hasty. I will keep one eye peeled for "signs" or opportunities, but keep the other on the step I am on, on the here and now.


What do you think? Do you believe in signs?

No comments:

Post a Comment