Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Lent

Lent begins tomorrow. For years I didn't pay much attention to Lent, assuming it was more of a Catholic thing than a Protestant one. But I have come to appreciate the discipline of Lent. While I have a hard time denying myself anything I want most days, Lent allows me an external motivation to be disciplined. 


This year our family is giving up sweets for Lent - Girl Scout Cookies, chocolate, regular soda, etc. 


We love our treats. I have a little chocolate most days. But it has become too big a part of our lives, so we are going to allow Lent to train us into more discipline. The first few days should be the most trying. But I am looking forward to it nonetheless.


Are you giving up anything for Lent? Or maybe adding a practice that you want to cultivate in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment