And I see every student every day.
- Do I avoid the student while it feels awkward, letting other staff handle him/her until the weirdness passes?
- Do I take the initiative and approach the student and talk directly about the situation?
- How do I gauge my own heart regarding the student?
- Can I separate the behavior in one moment - one bad decision - from the student?
- How are we reconciled to an even place in our relationship going forward?
- How do I communicate love and acceptance in a genuine way?
So far, when these situations come up, I have chosen to not avoid the student, but not get in his/her face either. I wait for an interaction to come up organically and I endeavor to treat the student the same way I would have before. I'm sure I don't always get it right. Sometimes it feels like I'm trying too hard to pretend that nothing happened - too cheery or too friendly. Thankfully, seeing every student every day gives me a lot of opportunities to have positive interactions to offset the more difficult ones.