Thursday, February 23, 2012

SAVOR: Sixth graders

Three years ago, I taught a group of 17 students in my son's school. I was only at the school two hours a day, four days a week, but I grew to love those kids.


This year, they are 5th and 6th graders. Next year, several of them will move on to the secondary school, and I won't see them every day like I do this year.


A couple weeks ago I was talking to them about their "Step Up Day" when they spent the morning at the secondary school getting taste of what 7th grade will be like. I told them how excited I am for each of them for the great adventure that awaits them as them move "up" from elementary school. One of the students I had three years ago piped up and said, "But we won't get to see you next year."


I told them, "Oh, I don't want to think about that right now because it will make me weep." And I will cry when they graduate. I will miss seeing them because they are growing into such wonderful young men and women. I enjoy being with them and joking around and hearing about their lives and their accomplishments. 


It was a moment that I "treasured in my heart." One I want to SAVOR this year because it means I have connected with some of my students in a new way and that is the whole point of being a teacher. 

No comments:

Post a Comment